Thursday 21 April 2011

Development of My Concept

How my concept has altered from the initial concept

When I drafted my first concept I wanted the music video to be based around one character and take on the same principle that is used in Paramore's 'The Only Exception' i.e. I wanted to incorporate the idea of doorways leading to a completely different location to the previous one. However after shooting the first blocked plan I realised this would be a lot of hard work and the outcome may not be the best. Therefore I decided to include a my female character more, to provide a more empathetic narrative. 

Furthermore, the idea of various gaps and doorways leading out onto different settings/locations would've been very hard for the audience to actually understand the concept unless it was done at a professional standard. Instead it would just seem as though the character is randomly walking in and out of odd places that don't piece together. The fact that there is a narrative running alongside this complex concept would make the overall music video seem very cluttered and disorganised, almost as though a bunch of ideas have just been thrown together without any thought.

So I decided to use both characters to show two parallel perspectives on the same situation that reflect the words and meaning of the song. My final music video can be an interpretation of the songs meaning through a male and female view and response to a certain situation when in a relationship and supposedly 'in love'.


Maroon 5 - 'Goodnight Goodnight'






Maroon 5's song 'Goodnight Goodnight' became an inspirational music video in developing my concept and altering areas of the initial one in the sense that I decided to almost disregard the idea taken from Paramore's 'The Only Exception' and incorporate this new idea of displaying parallel lives. In Maroon 5's video, the main concept is to depict the difference between Adam Levine's life with a girlfriend and what it has become now he is without her. As opposed to using exactly the same concept of a split screen showing the same person's actions just in a different time period, I thought it would be interesting to Give Dilara's character a role that was equally as important as that of Dan's. The link to 'Goodnight Goodnight' is the way that Dilara's and Dan's journey through the day parallels to show how different each character is in their thoughts and actions although they as supposedly both in love with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment