Monday 25 April 2011

Post-Production

What challenges did I face while editing my footage?
When we had finished shooting the first blocked plan/schedule, we thought it would be almost enough footage for the entire song as we had 30 minutes worth of footage to edit. However when I got into the editing room and began to cut down the shots, I realised that there was not enough footage at all, which is why we decided to expand our concept and filming. Furthermore the editing that I wanted to initially do in my first concept plan was another difficulty so as a group we decided to film more footage that would create a better narrative rather than attempting to acquire exceptional editing skills in such a short span of time.

What affects did I use and why?
During the editing process I tried to experiment with the effects I could possibly make use of in my music video such as changing the overall image colour to effects such as 'desaturation', 'sepia' and 'negative'. However when i played the clip through I thought that the change in colour had no real implication and may actually confuse the audience; using the 'desaturation' effect caused the image to become black and white which may confuse the audience into believing that the narrative that the music video was conveying may have occurred in the past, and this wasn't something i wanted to pursue. When I had finished cutting and placing all the shots in order, I decided to use a tool that reverses a clip. I used the technique to end the music video with a reversed clip of roses being dropped on the floor, so the roses were disappearing and the music video finishes with a shot of an empty carpet floor. I wanted the video to end with this image as it was a way of conveying emptiness and the absence of love in the characters lives causing emptiness. As this element of emptiness is present throughout the song and in its words, I thought it was important to include subtle hints of emptiness such as the bare carpet without the roses. Furthermore I thought it was important to show the floor becoming empty (without the roses) as the roses are symbolic of Dan and the roses on the floor as a representation of Dan in Dilara's life. However the reversal of the shot and the roses disappearing suggest that Dan is the cause of the emptiness in Dilara's life. So as opposed to there just being a plain shot of a bare floor, the audience can see the transition and the disappearing of the roses (and Dan) in the characters life.

How have I developed my concept further during post-production?
The editing process was the deciding factor for my music video because after sorting and editing all of my shots in my sequence I decided that instead of having a happy ending as I had initially planned in my concepts, I was going to end on an unconventionally sad thought. As opposed to ending with the make-up of Dan and Dilara as a conventionally happy couple who have arguments but eventually live happily ever after, I decided at the very last minute that it may be more interesting if the narrative were to be left on somewhat of a cliffhanger or a more truthful depiction of 'love', where we cannot tell what the couple's destiny is.

No comments:

Post a Comment